Thursday, January 6, 2011

Peruvian Highland Wool

I had some Peruvian Highland wool that I had purchased for cheap from Elann.  I decided to use this yarn to make my hubby a pair of socks.  He has a huge size 12 foot and the thought of restarting a pair of socks with sock yarn was seriously disheartening.  Then I realized I had read that socks could be knit out of worsted weight yarn.  I plugged in my gauge of 4.75 sts and 5.94 rows into my sock wizard and put in the needle size of US 6.  I got my cast on number and started to do the ribbing for the sock.  I started the sock on January 4, 2011 and finished the first one today. 


My hubby loves his first sock.  The yarn did a really great job for my sock.  It was super quick.  I chose the color Mallard.  It is a heathered wool.  As you can see the heel is a simple stockinette heel and I thought it turned out quite well.  Notice the heathering of the wool.  The stitches on this particular yarn show up quite nicely.  I even mentioned this to my hubby. 

The gusset of this sock was relatively short as well.  I think the worsted weight yarn is completely wonderful and makes beautiful socks.  Now, I want to see how well it holds up to carpet and the usual wear and tear that sock yarn holds up to.  That is my last test and if it does stand up as well or better than I will continue knitting socks out of worsted weight yarn for huge feet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment