Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Hand Painted Effervescence

I am using a sock yarn that I had painted about a year ago for a friend's shop.  I have the yarn and I decided to go ahead and use it for something other than socks since it is a fine fingering weight.  I do not like to knit socks with fine fingering weight.  It is a quirk I have.  The yarn is shades of green and I painted it at a time when it was so hot here that I needed some relief from the heat and chose to paint a cool mixture of greens. 

My yarn reminds me of a cold mountain lake with tiny bubbles popping up at the surface.  Just so refreshing.  It is very refreshing to knit with.  I am sitting here in long sleeves and in pants to keep myself warm and I am using this cool yarn.  I am making the Holden Shawlette by Mindy Wilkes. 

I originally chose a different yarn but, I misplaced it.  So, I grabbed the effervescence and decided to make this shawlette with it.  I am in the socks squared group and we are doing a KAL with this pattern for the month instead of our usual pair of socks.  I am thankful for this break in socks since I just finished Gary's worsted mallard socks.  He loves them, by the way.  He was wearing them today and tonight.  He specified he would like another pair in another color when I have time.  Not right now.  I have a line of people who want socks. 


This shawlette is being knit with my Addi turbo clicks in US 6.  I love how well this yarn is showing off the stitches and the pattern so far.  Okay, so it is straight stockinette with a garter stitch edge but, still, it shows off the stitches quite nicely.  I have even poked a hole in my poor finger from knitting so much.  Last night was shoulder aches from knitting too much.  I took a small break from knitting tonight but, I will go on to work on it some more.  I need to get the 44 repeats done so, I can start the lace portion of this project and I even have another shawlette planned for later with yarn picked out for it.  :) 

I did notice that shawlettes seem to be very popular right now.  I think it is because so many women want something beautiful to drape around their necks and knitting a scarf can be very boring.  We knitters do love a challenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment